Friday, April 13, 2012

April 13 update

Today I went for my first visit with my oncologist, Dr. Gupta.  I like him a lot!  He has a terrific sense of humor (which those of you who know me well know this pleases me) and is very positive.  Mom said he reminded her of Raj on The Big Bang Theory (she and I are big fans of that show. :D) He scheduled me for a CT scan and a bone scan on Wednesday April 18.  Then I go back to Dr. Gupta's office on Friday, April 20.  This is when I will probably start my chemo treatments.  He said they will probably be one every couple of weeks for possibly 8 weeks.  That is still tentative depending on the results of my scans and the MRI I had yesterday.

He stressed that he wanted me to keep my life as normal as possible during the chemo process.  If I feel like doing something, do it.  If I feel like taking a nap, take a nap.  I know my body.  He also said not to dwell on the possible side effects of the chemo.  They are what COULD happen, but they don't for every patient.   And if I dwell on them, they will probably happen.  But I should just be positive and deal with it if they do.   He also gave me permission to give everybody a hard time.  So people better watch out, doctor's orders.  So I am going to try and work as much as my body will allow me to.

I then had to go get some more blood work done.  I am beginning to think I going to be a human pin cushion.  :D

Through this whole process I am seeing God's hand in things.  I did want to share one of those instances.  We have a sick leave bank at the library.   If you would like, you can donate 8 hours of sick leave time to the bank and anybody who has had to take a lot of time off due to illness can use the hours in the bank when they run out of their own sick leave.  The date to sign up for the next year is in December.  Well this past December, I had forgotten to sign up for it.  Heather, our Administrative Assistant, called me up and said she noticed I hadn't signed up for it and she knew I had in past so she wanted to make sure I did.  I got the form in.  Looking back, I know God knew what I was facing this year.  I praise God that he nudged Heather to call me (when she really didn't have to) and I thank Heather for listening to that nudging.

No comments:

Post a Comment