Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May 2 update

Just thought I would give everybody a quick update.  Sunday, Dr. Gupta called to check up on my to see how I was doing after my chemo treatment.  I told him I was nauseated and fatigued.  He said that was normal and in a couple of days I would be turning cartwheels.  Well yesterday afternoon I started feeling better and I guess today would be the cartwheel turning day.  Since I was never able to do a cartwheel, this would be classified in the miracle category. :D

I also received a call from the genetictist about my breast cancer gene testing.  They are 90% sure I have no mutation in the 2 genes that are considered the breast cancer genes.  I then asked her if the means that mine is a sporadic case.  She said she wouldn't say that either.  Since I am so young, it could still be family related and environmental.  (Her words not mine)  There is another test that they could do but that costs $800 and only improves the detection by 1 or 2 percent. (She didn't recommend doing that for those odds).  She did say if anybody else in the family gets cancer, we would need to put that back into the equation and see if that changes anything.

I am not quite sure what to think about all this, but I am going to take that as a positive and go on from there.  I am also happy that the insurance payed for the test as it is very pricey.

1 comment:

  1. I admire your positive attitude and thirst for knowledge [which is power] for your situation, T. Am pleased to hear you've handled your first treatment well and are feeling better!

    Please know I think of you often and sendhealing energy your way. I know you're going to lick this sucker just like my cousin Pam has [7+ years cancer free & feeling terrific].

    My best always, red♥

    ReplyDelete