Thursday, August 30, 2012

August 30 update

This has been an eventful week for me.  I haven't made this many trips to Indianapolis since I got my Master's degree at IUPUI.  The fun started on August 22.  I went down to have an MRI, mammogram and ultrasound.  I had the MRI first and then went to have the mammogram and ultrasound.  They did the mammogram first and then after waiting a bit, they told me I could leave.  I asked about the ultrasound and they had determined I didn't need it.  So I went home.  Thursday afternoon (Aug 23), I receive a call from the hospital scheduling department.  They told me that a couple of the films of the MRI didn't come out and I was going to have to come back down there to have them retaken.  I asked how long this would take and they said "10 minutes".  This didn't make the cancer patient very happy.  But since I wanted things to be seen clearly, I knew I had to go back down there.

So on Tuesday (Aug 28), I went back down to have the MRI retaken.  As they were getting me ready, they explained that the contrast didn't go in correctly so that is why I was having to have it retaken.  I made the comment that during the first one, it felt like the contrast was running down my arm.  Their response was  "You didn't tell us about that".  Silly me, I guess I am supposed to know exactly how contrast going in my arm is supposed to feel.  Anyway, they then tell me that the test will take 45 minutes.  I said, I was told on the phone that it would only take 10 minutes.  Evidently, with a breast MRI, it's an all or nothing kind of deal.  I was ok with that because it made the hour drive down and back a little more worth it.  I also learned that you don't believe everything the scheduling department tells you.

So that brings us to today.  I met with Dr. Schmidt.  He was very pleased with how things are progressing.  The tests look great.  They scheduled my mastectomy for Sept 12.  (I will get the exact time when they send me the paperwork in the mail)  I have to go down to St. Vincent's on Sept 11 to have pre-surgery tests done.

I asked if since the tests looked good if that meant the cancer was gone.  He said the only way to know if the cancer was completely gone was to take the breast and one lymph node off and biopsy (or as Mom said "autopsy") it.

That's all I know for know.  Keep praying that things keep going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment